Bury setback prevents Cup derby but Curzon still make history


Curzon Ashton trio Paul Ennis, Alex Brown and Iain Howard

CURZON ASHTON are set to face third-tier opposition for the first time in their history after winning Monday night’s FA Cup replay with Westfields.


On a memorable night at the Tameside Stadium, Curzon ultimately proved too strong for the plucky visitors from the ninth tier, who were the lowest-ranked side in the competition.

The Nash won 3-1 to reach the second round for just the second time in their history and they already knew that next up would be a televised home tie against either BURY or their League One rivals AFC Wimbledon.

And Wimbledon ran out comfortable winners last night, enjoying a 5-0 home victory to book a trip to Tameside on Sunday, December 4, for a 12pm kick-off live on BT Sport.

Each side will pocket £72,000 for the TV rights but including gate receipts and sponsorship, the game should be worth around £120,000 to Curzon, which will be crucial in their bid to remain in the National League North for a third straight year.

Monday’s game attracted 1,075 to the Tameside Stadium, including dozens of Curzon juniors who had just had training, and the senior team delivered the result the locals wanted.

Adam Morgan converted two well-taken strikes in the first half, the first taking a slight deflection, and the former Liverpool trainee should have made it a hat-trick as he fired against a post after being put clean through on 69 minutes.

But just two minutes later Niall Cummins dinked in a third for Curzon, who didn’t have things all their own way. The visitors forced a fine save from Hakan Burton and sent two efforts just over before Cummins sealed victory. And Westfields continued to press during the closing stages, missing several chances before sub Chris Ham claimed a deserved consolation in stoppage time.

After losing 4-1 at home to Southend on Saturday to suffer their seventh straight league defeat, Bury put in another woeful defensive display against Wimbledon. The hosts took a 27th-minute lead when a well-worked free-kick resulted in defender Paul Robinson converting from close range, before Dean Parrett doubled the Dons’ lead on 32 minutes.

Ex-Bury loanee Dominic Poleon rubbed salt into the Shakers’ wounds by scoring either side of the break before Lyle Taylor completed the scoring 10 minutes from time.

ROCHDALE were given a scare at Maidstone United as they needed a late Callum Camps equaliser to earn a replay but there was to be no repeat at the Crown Oil Arena. Steve Davies scored twice in the opening 22 minutes, the second a penalty after a foul on Joe Bunney, to claim a 2-0 win and book a trip to in-form League Two side Carlisle in the second round.

OLDHAM ATHLETIC’s place in the next round was already confirmed, with Latics’ trip to non-league Lincoln City being shown live on BT Sport on Monday, December 5. But an action-packed weekend begins at MACCLESFIELD TOWN’s Moss Rose on the Friday as the Silkmen host League One Oxford, live on BBC 2.

Selected second-round fixtures:
Macclesfield Town v Oxford United (Friday, 7.55pm)
Carlisle United v Rochdale (Saturday, 3pm)
Curzon Ashton v AFC Wimbledon (Sunday, 12pm)
Bolton Wanderers v Sheffield United (Sunday, 2pm)
Lincoln City v Oldham Athletic (Monday, 7.45pm)