EFL round-up: Bolton keep up 100% start but late drama for Wigan

EFL logo

BOLTON have the only 100% record in the EFL after coming from behind to win 2-1 at home to Fleetwood on Saturday.

Wanderers have hit the ground running after relegation from the Championship as they’re two points clear at the top of League One after equalling their best start since 1934.

Boss Phil Parkinson felt Saturday’s game would provide Bolton’s biggest test yet, and so it proved with Fleetwood going a goal up at the Macron. The Trotters’ defence failed to clear a ball into the box and David Ball pounced to give the former non-league side a 34th-minute lead.

But Wanderers were level six minutes after the break when David Wheater had a header saved from Jay Spearing’s corner and Gary Madine converted the rebound. Then with less than 10 minutes left, Conor Wilkinson’s knock-down in the box fell for Josh Vela, who fired into the top corner for his second goal in four days after scoring the opener in Wednesday’s 2-1 win at Bristol Rovers.

WIGAN played their part in a seven-goal thriller at Nottingham Forest but were denied by a stoppage-time winner in the Championship.

Latics got off to a poor start as Dan Burn’s wayward backpass was punished by Britt Assombolanga, but that was quickly cancelled out as Michael Jacobs equalised from Alex Gilbey’s cut-back.

A long free-kick put Oliver Burke in behind the Wigan defence for Forest’s second goal on 53 minutes before Craig Morgan was deemed to have pushed in the box, but Apostolos Vellios’ penaty was saved by Adam Bogdan.

Will Grigg made it 2-2, heading home from Luke Garbutt’s 65th-minute cross, only for Burke to score his second after again getting in down Wigan’s left.

The hosts flicked on a long throw for Grigg to pounce again from close range on 86 minutes, but three minutes into stoppage time, the Latics’ defence parted for Hildeberto Pereira to run into the box and tee up Tom Lam to clinch a 4-3 win.

ROCHDALE were also denied by a late goal as MK Dons struck in the fourth minute of stoppage time to win 1-0 at the Crown Oil Arena.

Keeper Conrad Logan came into the starting line-up and, after saving three penalties during a previous loan spell with Dale in 2014, he stopped another from Ben Reeves following a Jim McNulty foul.

Ian Henderson almost broke the deadlock for Dale but at the death, Logan misjudged a free-kick into the six-yard box, allowing Scott Wootton to head home.

That kept Dale on just one point in League One but they hope for some relief on Tuesday night as they visit QPR in the second round of the EFL Cup.

Dale’s local rivals BURY and OLDHAM played each other at Gigg Lane on Saturday, with a seventh-minute own goal by Bury debutant Leon Barnett enough to give Latics the bragging rights. Oldham visit Preston on Tuesday in the EFL Cup.