Non-League round-up: Salford and Ashton enjoy six-goal thrillers

Mill Farm

IT was goals galore in Tuesday night’s non-league games as both SALFORD CITY and ASHTON UNITED were involved in 3-3 draws.

Salford were just the second visitors to AFC Fylde’s new Mill Farm ground and a crowd of 1,832 turned up to see a clash between two potential promotion rivals in the National League North.

Former Salford and Stalybridge midfielder Bohan Dixon crossed for Sam Finley to give Fylde a 10th-minute lead, but Jordan Hulme equalised on 27 minutes with a fine finish with the outside of his boot.

Salford keeper Jay Lynch denied James Hardy before surviving a penalty shout, and the end-to-end action continued into the second half, with Michael Nottingham heading home from Sam Walker’s 60th-minute free-kick.

Lynch denied Dixon an immediate equaliser but on 67 minutes he was beaten by Danny Rowe’s shot into the top corner. Rowe’s free-kick then struck a post with 10 minutes left. And although Mike Phenix curled Salford back in front with five minutes left, Fylde defender Steve Williams headed home in stoppage time to secure a point.

ASHTON also needed a late leveller to secure a draw at Blyth Spartans and remain unbeaten in the Evo-Stik Premier.

Blyth were the pre-season title favourites and saw Stephen Turnbull’s free-kick hit a post early on, but Gary Gee gave Ashton the lead from a tight angle after latching onto Jack Dorney’s pass.

Daniel Maguire forced in a 29th-minute equaliser before hitting the woodwork again through a Robbie Dale free-kick, but Ashton went up the other end to go back in front, Dorney scoring from Danny Wilkins’ lay-off.

Blyth managed to hit back three minutes before the break after a harsh penalty against Tunji Moses, with Turnbull’s spot-kick just beating Robins’ keeper and joint-manager Paul Phillips.

In a quieter second half, Sean Reid fired Blyth in front for the first time on 70 minutes, but just eight minutes from time, Lee Gaskell charged down an attempted clearance by the keeper and tucked in the loose ball for his fourth goal in four games.

In the FA Cup, RADCLIFFE BOROUGH overcame Evo-Stik North rivals DROYLSDEN to earn a home tie against Spennymoor in the first qualifying round.

Ste Lewis slotted in a 32nd-minute opener for Droylsden but the hosts equalised through Jack Hindle’s 48th-minute penalty before Hindle scored from close range with 12 minutes left to secure a 2-1 victory.

A second-half brace by Nico Collins gave ABBEY HEY a 2-1 win at Nelson in the North West Counties Premier while STOCKPORT TOWN won 3-1 at home to PRESTWICH HEYS in the First Division.